A link with the early days of Harvey was severed with the death, at his home in Roy-street, Harvey, on September 30, of Mr. William Charles Berry, at the age of 69 years. The late Mr. Berry was well known in Harvey district, having lived here for about 50 years. He is survived by a widow, two sons (Messrs. Charles and William Berry, of Harvey) and a daughter (Mrs. P. Kelly, of Roelands). One son predeceased him in 1932.
Born at Rhoo [Whroo], Victoria, in 1881, Mr. Berry first came to W.A. in 1900 when he went to Kalgoorlie. A year later he came to the South-West, and took up employment at Newlands, a timber mill near Donnybrook. A few months later he moved to Wokalup as foreman of Millars T. and T. Co., timber yard, which position he retained until his retirement in 1946.
He then went to live in Roy-street Harvey, where he resided until his death. Mr. Berry was a keen supporter of the Wokalup Progress Association and one of the main movers in getting a school and hall built at Wokalup. He was president of the Wokalup Soccer team, and an early member of the Harvey Trotting Club. He took an active part in the trotting club, helping and supervising the erection of the rails around the present trotting track. Among other organisations with which he was connected were the Harvey Hospital, Ambulance, and War Memorial Committee.
The funeral took place in the Church of England portion of the Harvey Cemetery on Monday, when a large crowd gathered to pay their last respects. Included in those present were a large number of employees from Mornington Mill which had closed down for the afternoon to allow them to attend the funeral. The pall bearers were Messrs. W. Warwick, G. Neilson, G. Rigg, H. Church, L. Parola, A. J. Bartle, A. Bradshaw and B. Gardiner. Rev. B. P. Wrightson officiated.
(Harvey Murray Times, 5 October 1951.)